Okay, help me out. Pretend there’s a paragraph here where I give you a really good reason for not having written anything in a year.
*awkward silence*
Ummmm, no? :B
Ok finnnnnnne.. finnnnnnne, I know I've been slacking off A LOT. Like, A LOT A LOT.
But don't worry, I haven't stopped running (and being awesome). In between hours of sitting on my ass eating cakes and all sorts of other junks, the past year has been pretty kickass for me. I completed my 8th half marathon, traveled around Asia for a bit, explored some nice trails in and out of town, started my Master's Degree (while still being attached to my full-time job in Publicis), tried scuba diving, completed my French refresher course with Alliance Française, chopped off my waist-length hair which I've been keeping for the past 7 years to a short bob, picked up yoga, climbed a couple of volcanic mountains, drank an unofficial world record number of Vitagens, and did a bunch of other cool stuff I can't remember now. But from all those things I've mentioned, traveling to Indonesia last month is still my favourite topic to blabber about up to this moment, and I think it'd make an interesting blog post too. So, let me make it up to you for disappearing in the last 12 months and take this opportunity to do some quality bragging, since I don’t get the chance to do that very often.
Prior to the Bromo race weekend, I had notoriously spent the entire week being a beach bum in Bali and Gili Islands. But as I was reaching towards the end of the beach bumming portion of the trip and should be ready to head West to Surabaya for Bromo, I suddenly had a slight flinch. I was even genuinely considering skipping this run, but then since all my flights and everything else have been booked, I decided to just go anyway and thought maybe I was just being bratty because I had spent way too much time on the beach, that going to a mountain area to run a half marathon doesn't sound appealing at all.
And here's something I don't often get to say about my decision: It was a good one. I guess it's true that the only run you regret really is the run you don't go and Bromo proved that once again.
So why was I so ecstatic about the fact that I finished the race?
BECAUSE IT WAS THE HARDEST AND MOST GRUESOME HALF MARATHON I'VE RAN IN MY DAMN LIFE SO FAR.
No I wasn't being a drama queen. If you know how to read elevation charts, you'd look at the below, and understand why. If not, don't worry. It's perfectly normal to be clueless about things sometimes.
![]() |
| Look at all those threatening pointy bits! *_* |
Just about every non-runner I know has asked me at least once why the hell I get out and torture myself with these things (especially since the next few days are spent mostly limping around and bitching about it). I find it such a transcendent thing that I have no skills to explain. I can only hope they assume there must be a really good reason I willingly put myself through the pain I talk about. Because that pain is just the result of a major rush of happiness and genuine feelings are supposed to leave you exhausted. Other runners know. We’re not as stupid as we look. We wouldn’t spend all this money, travel hundreds and thousands of miles, abuse our bodies this much for something average. For that, we have PlayStations.
So yeah, it turns out that Bromo had some unexpected surprises in store. The first of which was the journey itself as it took me a solid half a day to travel to the race venue. On the map, it didn't look terribly far away from Juanda Airport in Surabaya. After about 1.5hrs on the plane from Lombok to Surabaya (Lombok Airport is the nearest airport if you're coming from Gili), I then endured the 6 hour bus journey to get to Probolinggo, and another half an hour with a smaller van up the mountain where the race venue is located - a small village called Wonokitri, and caught up with my KVRC running buddies before we collected our race-kits
I was glad that I came prepared for the weather in Bromo because IT WAS FREAKING COLD. Though I somehow felt like a retard for having to lug thick,warm clothing to Bali and Gili Islands before that where bikinis seem the only essential piece of clothing required, but it was worth it.
At about 6pm, race kit collected,
![]() |
| Yep, the alien-lookalike in our group photos is usually me |
I have nothing much to complain about the villa, though the facilities kinda made me cringe a little. I then told myself to suck it in and be grateful that we at least had a fairly decent place to bunk in, because I did hear that some runners struggled to find a place to crash for the night. So, not too long after I've changed into my 37 layers of pajamas and used up all my 5 lives of Candy Crush, I dozed off.
Morning came, and next thing I know, I was already standing amidst the crowd with my running buddies, waiting anxiously for our half marathon flag-off at 7am.
Of course, it's pre-race pikcha timmmmme!!
I have to admit that the whole event was pretty well organised (as compared to the Jakarta Marathon I went to last year which was really messy). The weather in Wonokitri that morning, for a start, couldn’t be better...
| Ah-may-zinggggg |
We also got to run through some truly amazing scenery from the top of the hills, as far as your eyes could see.... (before the salty sweat threatened to burn them, that is).
| Yup. That's what I'm talking about |
The whole run was a very good reminder of how different trail running can be from road running. At only around KM6, a really steep incline had me and pretty much everyone else around walking up (and not even walking straight). The hill seemed to go on forever and there was a point when I seriously wanted to move to the side and just sit on the ground and give up on life. My legs felt heavy like they were two iron bars. I kept reminding myself of how it was all a big mental game and how I should be ashamed to ever lose a game against myself.
So I carried on up...
And up......
I had all my fingers and toes crossed for those bastard hills along the route to finally disappear but… nope! It keeps on going, in all its steep glory....
Clearly, I was already dragging my feet halfway through the distance. The dirt pathways made it very challenging for me to run as my shoes kept scooping in the sand and it annoys the hell out of me.
After about almost 3 hours into the run, the rolling hills on Penanjakan eventually tamed down a little, and the route took me running along the ridge of the mountains where I then came around a turn to a stunning view overlooking perhaps the most eerily beautiful thing I have ever seen:
![]() | ||||||||||||||||||||
| The Tengger massif. Clockwise from bottom left: Mount Bromo (with the blown off top), Mount Semeru (the highest of them all), Mount Kursi (next to Mount Bromo) and Mount Batok. |
Seeing that was enough to make me forget about half of the things I bitched about in the earlier part of the route and then I realized I wasn’t so cranky anymore. Amazing what some nice scenery can do for you. :)
I continued on with my little journey and after a few minutes (which felt like a few hours), I spotted the exit point arch of the Bromo National Park.
I ran faster to catch up with the only other runner in sight at that time and, as I got closer, she smiled and said to me in her thick British accent “we’re almost there!”. Not long after that, there it was – a sign saying we had only 1km to go. The final kilometer that, of course, felt like a whole marathon. I looked at my Garmin and was somehow relieved that I could still make it to the finishing line within sub-4 hours. After going through the difficulty of the course, I began to understand the rationale behind the 7 hours cutoff time set by the organizer (instead of the usual 5 hours for most half marathons).
I ran, ran, and ran, and eventually reached the finishing line to a loud cheering crowd along the final stretch (where I even heard some random locals calling out "Upin Ipin!!!" to me because I was flaunting the Malaysian flag.) -_-
(Thank you Rino Irwan for recording this! Note: Video only viewable from desktop)
I FINISHED THE RACE!
And believe it or not, when I checked my results the day after, I found out that I actually made it to the top 100 from the total of 645 participants in the category! *throws confetti*
The day I completed the Bromo Marathon reminded of one of the most important things in life: beauty and amazement are all around us if we can only look past our temporary discomforts and inconveniences. If we let those stop us from connecting ourselves to the nature that surround us, we will miss so much wonder and so much breathtaking beauty. There is beauty in our friends, our families, our workplaces, and even in the stranger we pass on the street. I hope that you see some of that beauty today, that you find something that amazes you and inspires you to endure cold nights, long bus rides, or whatever has been leaving you feeling exhausted and worn out. Until next time, keep on keeping on and know that it is all going to be so very worth it.
PHEW, THAT WAS A LONG READ, WASN'T IT?
(Pic credit: Since my phone decided to be a diva halfway through the run, I had to steal a couple of photos from my running friends, Alfonso and Ena to complete this post. Many thanks to both of them).








Like
ReplyDeleteTerima kasih. Datangla jenguk jenguk selalu. :)
DeleteHey interesting short & perky write up. I am inspired already just by reading it.
ReplyDeleteAm planning my marathon wishlist for 2015. Bromo is one of them if $$ permits. Don't mind if I ask how did you guys book the Villa (accomodatrion) ?
Oh, it was actually booked through a friend who already has contacts there. I do know that the Bromo Marathon organizer also coordinates booking for participants, but I'm not entirely sure how reliable are they. You can probably google the place we stayed at, it's called Villa Intan.
DeleteThanks for the recap - we are traveling to Bali this year and are always looking for a race to include as part of the journey. It looks REALLY difficult but would be an amazing experience!
ReplyDelete